temp tablespace blow up

From: Lyall Barbour <lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:56:17 -0500

Hi all, So, i blew up _the_ temp tablespace the other day with an update query *pats himself on the back*. I found some down time and dropped it, looking up on the web how to recreate it, i found CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE and created it as "temporary" not realizing what i was doing (just hadn't done it in awhile). Now, night reports and such take 4 hrs instead of 4 mins to run. Now that i've found the basic syntax to create a tablespace again, my only real question is if someone can explain about TEMPORARY tablespaces and what good they'd be for? Are they good for the "temp" tablespace for queries cause there's only two reasons i found for the huge amount of time difference for the night process 1) tablespace used to be regular 4 gig tablespace, now it's "TEMPORARY" 2) i created the extents wrong and instead of being 767 extents it was 37000. What is a TEMPORARY TABLESPACE? Lyall

--
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com !