Re: dblink problem on two verion of ORACLE DB

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:00:48 +0100

On 8/14/07, Dunbar, Norman <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk> wrote:

> Morning
>
> >> I knew that is problem, but based on ORACLE say you
> >> can Only turn on one listener which is highest version
> >> of ORACLE.
>
> Hopefully, you will have got your tnsnames problems sorted out by now.
> However, the advice to only use one listener and to use the highest
> version of Oracle software is pretty sound - if you intend to run all
> your databases (on that server) using the same listener.

I have a clustered server system to look after and each 'package' can
> failover between cluster nodes in the event of a problem. I have one
> listener per database and that one listener is running with the same
> version of Oracle as the database itself.
>
> Obviously, I cannot have 'hundreds' of listeners all called LISTENER, so
> they each have individual names like Horace and Stella or Derek and
> Rachel.

:)

Only kidding :o) The names are related to the package name - that makes
> it easy to identify them and also to auto start them in the package
> start-up scripts.

Unless - like us on our dev boxes - you have many different Oracle software owners I'm not sure that net services aren't a better solution for this sort of thing than multiple listeners. (I'm assuming the environment agency is at least at 8i).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA