RE: dblink problem on two verion of ORACLE DB

From: Ted Coyle <oracle-l_at_webthere.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:25:09 -0400

Set your TNS_ADMIN director to a single place with valid TNSNames and SQLNET.ora files or,

You could always hardcode the connect descriptor in the link thus removing TNS as an issue.

This gets confusing late at night if not noted primarily because altering the TNS has no effect on hard coded links. :-)

Syntax:

create public database link TNSBYPASS

   connect to system identified by manager42

   using
'(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(HOST=YOURMACHINE.COM)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(PORT=1521))(CONN ECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=YOURSERVICE.NAME.COM)))'   Obviously there are security issues with this approach as well.

Also I've run 8.1.7.4, 9.2.0.4, 9.2.0.7, 10.1.0.4, 10.2.0.2 and 10.2.0.3 listeners simultaneously on the same machine.

It's not fun, but it was for testing various issues between systems.

Main issue we had was with auto registration and crashing listeners when 9 and 10 local_listeners were not set and 8.1.7.4 listener was defaulted to 1521.

-Ted