RE: Grow existing DBFs or add more?

From: Ted Coyle <oracle-l_at_webthere.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:19:35 -0400

Extents can't span datafiles. Each extent will be used across datafiles in round robin fashion.

Example: 1 tablespace, 2 files and one table with two extents. The first write is to extent one file one, the second write is to extent two file two, then back to one and so on. Possibility exists that the first file has more extents based on initial extent allocation, but I didn't test this out.

This is light on the technical, but it might help.

Personally, I'd use fewer, larger files, but that point is based on the arbitrary nature of the installation, meaning fewer larger files work in some cases, and not in others. I'd prefer to go ASM bigfile on everything and not worry about storage allocation, but no luck with that yet.

-T