Re: Cursor_sharing=similar.....failed

From: David Barbour <>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:47:30 -0400

Not sure what platform or version of Oracle you're on, but I did run into something similar on AIX with Oracle v9.2.0.5. An overview is in MetalinkNote #3639594.8. It's a bug. Check the note to see if your platform.version fits for this issue. Not sure if there's a patch for this - we were in the process of upgrading to and the problem disappered. *

When PMON cleans up a dead process then it may notice an in-progress "ALTER SYSTEM SET PARAMETER" command and assume (incorrectly) that this was from the failed process. It may then try to clean up the in-progress command and so conflict with the running session performing the ALTER SYSTEM command.

This shows up as numerous "PMON failed to acquire latch, see PMON dump" messages."