RE: Cursor_sharing=similar.....failed

From: Bryan Michael Lenihan <bryan_at_orixcorp.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:10:02 -0400

Daniel,

I do not know if this what you are encountering, but by the nature of the CURSOR_SHARING=SIMULAR several child parses are created based on the literal values. There are several metalink and blog messages out there about the treeing effect when using CURSOR_SHARING as SIMULAR. We are running 10.2.0.3 and we had to apply a couple of patches for SIMULAR and FORCED.

From what I understand - SIMULAR checks the literal values and see if the plan changes based on their values. If it does, then it stores the plan as a child plan and creates a small tree in the shared pool. If the statement is run enough the treeing effect can take up a large amount of memory. We actually saw this pattern as you are describing. I felt it was because of the traffic - test usually does not have the user load as a production database.

Thanks,

Bryan