Re: Restoring control file required?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:46:33 +0800

Restoring a ControlFile requires a RECOVER .. FROM BACKUP CONTROLFILE and, consequently, an INCOMPLETE RECOVERY.

You would do so only when
a. You do not have the current controlfile b. You are cloning from a hot backup to another server (therefore, do not have the "current" controlfile and online redologs) c. You deliberately choose to do an Incomplete Recovery (eg a Tablespace-Point-In-Time-Recovery
or a simulated Rollback of a Database)

If you lose a Datafile and have the current controlfile , you do not need to Restore the ControlFile.
Now, that "a Datafile" can mean 1 datafile or multiple datafiles or all the datafiles in a tablespace.
In all of these cases you do not need to restore the controlfile. Note : Even if the datafile(s) lost is/are from the SYSTEM tablespace, you can *still* do a Recovery without Restoring the controlfile -- except that the database cannot be OPEN, it can only be MOUNTed.

Hemant
At 02:32 PM Friday, Nadeem M. Khan wrote:
>Greetings.
>
>Got a teeny weeny doubt here.
>When is it necessary to restore the controlfile? Ofcourse one scenario
>is when I have lost all copies of my current control file.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com