Re: RMAN Duplication for Migration and Archived Logs

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:53:14 -0500

On 8/1/07, Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com> wrote:
> The simple approach is to create a standby database. I think it should
> work 32 bit -> 64 bit as well.

I just found this in Section 2.3.1 of the Data Guard Concepts and Administration Guide [1]:

"All members of a Data Guard configuration must run an Oracle image that is built for the same platform.

For example, this means a Data Guard configuration with a primary database on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system can have a standby database that is configured on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system. However, a primary database on a 64-bit HP-UX system can also be configured with a standby database on a 32-bit HP-UX system, as long as both servers are running 32-bit images."

Has anyone proven this wrong? Are my standby plans ruined?

[1] http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/standby.htm#i72053

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://ora.seiler.us