Resource Manager/waiting in check2 question

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:29:54 -0400

Hi all,

I inherited a database that has Resource Manager running and I'm still trying to figure out how this works since I've never used it before.

At the moment I have an Oracle session taking up almost a full CPU according to top (12% on an 8 cpu machine), it's running with a priority of 0, and a 10046 trace shows that all the time is being taken up with resmgr:waiting in check and resmgr:waiting in check2 (mostly the latter).

The people running this session say that it's taking much longer than usual.

The user is part of SYS_GROUP which has 50% of Level 1 according to the current resource plan.

The resource manager docs have not impressed me so far. I see how to assign cpu for level 1, level 2, etc. but I have yet to find an explanation of what level 1, level 2, etc. actually signify.

My understanding from metalink is that resmgr:waiting in check2 is an idle wait event used to limit cpu usage. But since this user should have the highest priority I'm not sure why it's being limited.

Any suggestions on how to get this back to a higher priority or at least an explanation of what's happening?

Would turning off Resource Manager help?

Thanks,
Jay Miller