Re: RMAN: restoring autobackup spfile and controlfile

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:45:02 -0700

On 8/1/07, Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com> wrote:

> Btw, were you able to restore controlfile knowing just DBID and no
> names for the autobackup piece(s)?

As long as the default format of %F for autobackup is used, yes.

The name is c-DBID-<DATE>-<SEQUENCE>

I used MAXDAYS 1 and MAXSEQ 4 to limit the amount of time RMAN would spend searching for a file. If it can't find one, then I would prefer it give up, as I know it exists.

Here's a command I used just 2 hours ago to restore a spfile: eg. restore spfile from autobackup maxdays=1 maxseq=4;

I know there's a backup spfile available from today, and the maxseq used so far is 4.

RMAN may need extra parameters with the ALLOCATE CHANNEL command to get this spfile from the MML.

My first attempt was with a plain 'ALLOCATE CHANNEL CH00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' and RMAN could not find the file, so it gave up after a few minutes.

The second attempt included NetBackup specific parameters in the ALLOCATE so that the spfile could be found:

ALLOCATE CHANNEL CH00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE'
parms="ENV=(NB_ORA_POLICY=ORA_oraclient_agile,NB_ORA_CLIENT=oraclient,NB_ORA_SERV=nbuserver)"

This time the RESTORE SPFILE command worked. Control file also.

--
Jared Still