RE: AppManager from NetIQ versus Oracle OEM Grid Control

From: Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser_at_icat.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:38:59 -0600

The product I am somewhat familiar with is AppManager. We used it at my last job but my opinions come with a major disclaimer: we only used it for monitoring. I'd imagine it might be able to some things (run scripts on a schedule and the like) but we had a NetIQ admin who configured and ran the product. That said, the integration with Oracle was pretty good but not perfect. I think if you are ONLY going to use it for Oracle, Grid Control is probably the better way to go. However, if you have a heterogeneous environment and are looking to monitor systems along with databases from multiple vendors, AppManager is probably the better choice (of course, I haven't messed around with GC plug-ins yet). I don't think AppManager knew anything about RMAN and backups. Again - not saying it couldn't be scripted but it wasn't there out of the box.

-joe