Re: Oracle as a "time machine"

From: Luke Davies <luke.davies_at_hansard.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:43:09 +0100

Joop

There is indeed a command

|ALTER SYSTEM SET FIXED_DATE = YYYY-MM-DD-HH24:MI:SS |See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96536/ch168.htm#1017295

That's the docs for 9i

Cheers
Luke

Joop Gijsbers wrote:
> Today i got a (strange ?) question from some developers ,that they
> want in their developer database like to use Oracle " as a time
> machine": changing the current time of the database to some time in
> the future and then see houw some application parts react.
>
> One was telling me thet there was a possibility with an " alter system
> set.." command, something like " alter system set fixed_date ...." ,
> but i had a quick look at Metalink and in the Oracle documentation and
> i can't find anything about that.
>
> I know there is some possiblity with manuplation with the system time
> (to the future, not to the past), but that is not the scenatio i like
> in this case (there are more instances/databases on that particular
> node).
>
> I appreciate some advice.
>
> --
> Joop Gijsbers

The contents of this message and any attachments are confidential and are intended for the use of the persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, forward, use or alter the message in any way, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from your system. The sender is not responsible for any alterations that may have occurred without authorisation. Any files attached to this email will have been checked by us with virus detection software before transmission. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments, as we do not accept any liability for loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.

For information regarding company registration please visit the contact page at www.hansard.com