Re: ASM mirroring vs SAM mirroring

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:14:27 -0700

Alex,

Yes, you are right. I have implemented this kind of stretched clusters (or extended clusters) for few customers. The distance varies between buildings to few miles. Most of them use dark fiber for the interconnect and use third node for the extended voting.

As you have mentioned, the fast reslivering is not available till 11g and the ASM preferred read failgroups also not available till 11g. 11g has lots of improvements in this area and I see lots of people going for as this configuration can (sometimes) also be used as a limited(!) DR Solution.

I have a chapter on my RAC book if you are looking for implementation details. :-)

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006