Re: alter user identified externally

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:59:37 +0100

isn't it just a question of the alter user privilege?

>sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Fri Jul 27 17:10:22 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> create user niall identified by niall   2 default tablespace users;

User created.

SQL> grant create session to niall;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn niall/niall
Connected.
SQL> alter user niall identified externally; alter user niall identified externally
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> grant alter user to niall;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn niall/niall
Connected.
SQL> alter user niall identified externally;

User altered.

SQL> cheers

On 7/27/07, genegurevich_at_discover.com <genegurevich_at_discover.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have not been able to alter users to "identified externally" unless the
> user has sysdba privilege:
>
> connect NonDba/password
> alter user NonDba identified externally
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> connect Dba/password
> alter user NonDba identified externally
>
> works successfully
>
> Is that the restriction that oracle places on who exactly may execute this
> command (I'm using oracle 10.2)
> or is there a way to work around it?
>
> thank you
>
> Gene Gurevich