RE: many seconds waiting for I/O?

From: Dunbar, Norman <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:50:29 +0100

Hi Alex,

>> If it was sql*net messages why the event shows db file
>> sequential read?

A good question.

The 10g docs say that when the WAIT_TIME is non-zero that was the sessions last wait time. I think I may have misinterpreted that to take 'last' to mean 'previous' - I do apologise.

Your WAIT_TIME was -1 so the wait is over and took less than one hundredth of a second. The wait was indeed for 'db file sequential read'. However, the SECONDS_IN_WAIT value is not how long the wait was for because WAIT_TIME was -1 and that has a specific meaning of less than 1 centi-second.

The more I read the 10g docs, the more confused I find myself getting!

For example it says that EVENT is the CURRENT wait event - what we are waiting on now. But WAIT_TIME of -1 or -2 says the wait is over (so in my book, EVENT should be null).

With WAIT_TIME = zero, then we are currently waiting and therefore EVENT is what we are waiting on. SECONDS_IN_WAIT should be the time we have so far waited.

With WAIT_TIME > zero then SECONDS_IN_WAIT is the time since the last wait started, SECONDS_IN_WAIT - WAIT_TIME / 100 is the number of active seconds since the last wait ended.

Clear as mud ??

So, what does it mean when SECONDS_IN_WAIT is high and WAIT_TIME is -1 - which is what your problem appears to be?

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk