RE: ASM mirroring vs SAM mirroring

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:36:59 +1000

Hi Tony

Your information is much appreciated.

From all the HP Papers it was never clear about such stuff, I guess you had to have the presentation with them.

Now I can at least make plans around those requirements

It seems from things I had heard about that some other technologies supposedly allow you to do both mirror at teh HW level and ASM.

Will have to consider this information in regards to the DR plans and test this failure out. This is still being implemented and have time to desing the document on failures if they should occur.

Cheers

Peter

From: Tony van Esch [mailto:tvesch_at_xs4all.nl] Sent: Fri 27/07/2007 8:12 PM
To: Peter McLarty
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ASM mirroring vs SAM mirroring

Hi,

we have a similar config running (DUAL HP EVA, mirroring and RAC) and asked the suppliers (HP & Oracle) what would be a certified solution. In the end ASM was the only viable solution.

1> mirroring on SAN level with EVA is called 'Continuous Access'. You only get presented the primary LUN's, but not the copy. The copy is NOT presented to the racnodes. So if the storagebox/site with the primary LUN's fails, you lose your disks and your database is gone and you have downtime. Not really flexible. the mirror woulf have to be presented to the racnodes to get things up & running.

2> Mirroring with ASM (host-based mirroring). Is this case the primary and the copy are both presented to the racnodes and placed inside the correct failuregroups (FG1=site1/storagebox1 and FG2=site2/storagebox2). If one storagebox/site fails, only one failuregoup is lost, but the database will still be available.

So if you distribute racnodes of one cluster over two datacenters mirroring for the databases should be done with ASM. I'm even not sure Continous Access is supported for shared storage.

regards,
Tony van Esch