Re: Where should RAC listener run from

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:45:25 -0400

The listener can be run from any home.

The separation between ASM and DB homes gives you more flexibility in patch management.

I imagine that upgrading ASM to more current patchset than DB is easier (but that configuration is not tested as thorough as same patchsets ASM and DB) and you might want your listener to be on the highest patchset as well. But again who knows if there are (un)known issues specific to 10.2.0.2 DB running with 10.2.0.3 listener?

Also take into consideration that upgrading ASM home will cause outage to all databases while upgrading oracle home will impact only database(s) running from this oracle home. But with RAC, I would expect this maintenance to be rolling.

I follow the rule - if there is one listener per database - run it from DB home (ASM listener from ASM home). One listener for the node - run it from ASM home.

Anyone has more thoughts on which Oracle home to use? I don't recall it discussed in MAA papers but it was a while ago I read them.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com