Re: 10gR2 RAC on AIX shared disk device names issue

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:44:03 -0400

See few bits inline...

On 7/24/07, Venkata Giri PG <dbagiri_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> we have created new common device name file for non-common disks
> dev/rhdisk12-14 & /dev/rhdisk15-18.

I hope you meant non-common path but physical volumes behind are the same. As already mentioned, you don't have to take care about same names for ASM disks but you do want same consistent paths for OCR and VD.

> I am able to access these disks rac_dsk1-3 using dd command.
>
> But Cluster verfication utility fails with error ERROR: /dev/rac_dsk1
> Storage operation failed.

cluvfy has a bug that it can only work with standard SCSI disks and something like multipathed disks and etc don't work. There is Metalink note about it - 358617.1.

I personally never bother with cluvfy for long time and just have the list of things I need to do before installation.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com