Re: DataPump Import

From: Bob <orcl_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:36:26 -0400

Graham, what makes you think you cant do this? Oracle sofwate is very good at loading data while the database is in use...

I mean if i / we had to wait for users to be "off the system" to load data - being a dba would would be much less fun

Bob

Graham Ross wrote:
> All,
>
> I just need a sanity check . . . .
>
> Is there any reason why I can't import data into a table using datapump while the database is in use ? The import is historical data moved from another system which will be accessed infrequently. The table itself receives inserts, but no updates or deletes (except for a daily purge job).
>
> Ideally I'd prefer to do it with all the users out of the sytem, but this isn't possible at the moment. The only thing I could think of would be a possible performance hit, but we aren't unduly stressing the system at the moment.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> graham

> Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it
> now.
> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify
some other error located close to where the real fault lies."