Flashsback, ASM, and archive logs on RAC

From: Michael Kline <mkline1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:11:14 -0400

We have a new setup using ASM, RAC and Flashback Recovery Area.

The archive logs go to the FRA as well. We do hot backups but are not deleting the archive logs. Since the backup sets go to FRA, I'm wondering what, if any, advantage there is to keeping the archive logs. I'm thinking that "backup archive logs delete input" may make a lot more sense because they would already be in the backup sets anyhow.

We do daily full hot backups. It's 10.2.0.3 on AIX, and everything is pretty much in ASM.

Comments?

Michael Kline

Principal Consultant

Business to Business Solutions