Re: Use of LDOM/Containers/Zones - Solaris 10 and ORACLE

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:16:28 -0700

Raj,

> > Could you please point me to any blogs/opinions/recommendations on use of
> > Zones/Containers/LDOMS etc on Solaris 10 with ORACLE.

My memory may be failing me, but 'rcapd' (the daemon that 'ensures' that memory usage within a zone stays within prescribed limits) in the lower patch versions in Solaris 10 does NOT understand shared memory segments very well. Hence, if rcapd is enabled, it counts the SHM segment sizes of *all* processes run by the 'oracle' OS user (or its equivalent OS user) and goes haywire trying to swap out all Oracle processes as this adds up to extremelay large (but incorrect) values. I would recommend stop using rcapd in that case. Let me know if this is unclear.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc