RE: NetApp flier - based snapshots and db backups

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:08:29 -0700

Just to help clarify, and make sure I understand correctly - I think what you're both saying is that you could use the copied data, control and online log files to start another copy of the database instance, which would then perform crash recovery, i.e. roll forward through the online logs and then rollback any uncommitted transactions. However you could not apply any archived logs to the copied database. Please let me know if I've got it wrong.

Thanks,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Closson, Kevin A

no, it will look like you powered off the system by physically pulling the electrical cord. It is restartable, but you can't use it on some other system and apply logs to roll it forward.

From: amit poddar [mailto:amit.poddar_at_yale.edu]

It would be like a shutdown abort copy right ? i.e when started oracle would do a crash recovery since the snapshot includes online logs.