RE: vmware & Oracle

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:54:31 -0400

This is one reason why I am very uncomfortable with Oracle licensing. You have interpreted what they said at their website as, "You don't need to pay for licences for development systems" and I think that is inaccurate. You DO have to pay for development licenses under almost any circumstances after you deploy your first working application to production. We have gone round 'n round with our sales rep over the precise meaning of these words.

                " .... We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a single prototype of your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle reseller, to obtain the appropriate license. We may audit your use of the programs ...."