Re: vmware & Oracle

From: Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:37:50 -0700

On Jul 20, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Closson, Kevin A wrote:

>>> You don't need to pay for licences for development systems
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html
> "All software downloads are free, and each comes with a Development
> License that allows you to use full versions of the products only
> while
> developing and prototyping your applications."
>
> ...Oh how I knew people harbor that silly misconception. You have to
> read the license when you download.

Yet I know of people who were told by Oracle Sales that the misconception was actually true. As with most things in Oracle licensing, it really is about who you know. I think that has eroded the sanctity of their license far more than their association with Linux. If they can't be consistent in what they say, people are going to gravitate towards the most generous interpretation they can find.

janine