RE: vmware & Oracle

From: QuijadaReina, Julio C <QuijadJC_at_alfredstate.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:49:48 -0400

Sean,

I used to have a Linux VM as a node on development RAC enviroment. On a regular basis - about twice a week - the node was evicted, fenced which would panic the kernel and cause a reboot. I did not dig to deep on the cause - I took the VM out of the cluster. But as far as I remember the reason was that the guest OS (RedHat 4) would continually miss the VM host's clock ticks. That really messed up the time on the guest - making it lag behind up to 3 hours every week. I did not have this problem with the other 2 physical nodes in the cluster.

Julio

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of O'Neill, S. (Sean) Sent: Thu 7/19/2007 9:18 AM
To: List, Oracle-l Freelists
Subject: vmware & Oracle

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had much experience (good or bad) with running their Oracle DB's on the "vmware" product from VMware Inc. Speaking to local re-sellers there appears to be a division of opinon as to whether or not there are performance hits when doing so. We've a mixed bag of Oracle versions (8.1.7 to 10.1.0.4), underpinning various applications on our site all running on Windows Server 2000 or 2003. Any feedback, pointers, or links to useful papers would be appreciated, though I'm really interested in "real life" experiences with the product.

Regards,
Seán O'Neill,

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy, forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without permission of the sender.