Logical Standby..

From: Smith, Steven K - MSHA <Smith.Steven_at_DOL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:34:13 -0600

In a logical standby database scenario, can you pick and choose the objects that you want to replicate to the standby instance?

We have auditing tables associated to every table in the OLTP environment - populated through triggers for updates and deletes. We want to replicate some of the OLTP environment tables to a reporting environment with different indexing options. We do not have a need to replicate the audit tables with the primary tables.

Does Data Guard using logical standby allow a 'pick and choose' option for objects that are replicated?

From reading the manuals, it appears that the logical standby is created as a duplicate of the primary database and then the redo logs are mined to keep the standby in sync with the primary. Once the standby is in place, is it possible to drop objects in the standby and continue logically keeping the remaining objects refreshing? I have experience with physical standby, but not logical standby.

Thanks for any help.

Steve