RE: convert ASM to single-instance

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:05:46 -0400

Hi Jeremy,

Even in a single instance installation, ASM needs to connect to cssd. If that’s not running, you’ll get the 29701 when trying to start your ASM instance. From memory, this runs from /etc/inittab, if you’re on Linux (or, probably any other flavor of unix.)

On my RHEL box, I’ve got:

h1:35:respawn:/etc/init.d/init.cssd run >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null

in /etc/inittab, and it has to come before the ‘rc 3’ runlevel.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Paul Schneider Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:09 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: convert ASM to single-instance

anyone know how to convert ASM back to single-instance? i've relinked with rac_off, removed the clusterware with rootdelete.sh, triple-checked init+ASM.ora (no mention of cluster_database), and rebooted for good measure - but every time I try to start ASM, I still get this error:

SQL> startup
ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Manager

couldn't find anything on metalink, in the docs, or on the net... but maybe i've missed something?

-Jeremy

--

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL