RE: vmware & Oracle

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:01:04 -0400

It is a fair point that it adds an extra layer, but they've invested a huge amount of effort in mitigating that. Also, it matters *what* VMWare you're running. Both workstation and server run their virtual machines as processes - so there is a huge userspace jump, and IO is definitely impacted.

In VMWare ESX server, the OS of the physical machine is a customized version of Linux with a custom kernel, and the virtual machines have a much more direct IO path, as well as typically the VMWare filesystem on the physical machine, as opposed to a standard ext3 filesystem for vmware workstation, etc.

So, if you look at IO impact statistics from someone, make sure they're comparing the version of VMWare you'd want to run.

Matt