RE: vmware & Oracle

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:51:49 -0700

I have no experience with it, but this comment from the list archives indicates that vmware slows down I/O by adding an extra layer between Oracle and the disks:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/01-2007/msg00094.html

I'd be curious to see specific numbers from someone running a fixed set of Oracle I/Os (e.g. a large table scan & a large index range scan) against the same hardware with and without VMWare. Anyone on the list done anything like that to get precise timings?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of O'Neill, S. (Sean)

Has anyone had much experience (good or bad) with running their Oracle DB's on the "vmware" product from VMware Inc.