Re: tunning an index build

From: <genegurevich_at_discover.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:34:03 -0500

Niall,

I don't know . I need to try that too.

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle MySQL Operations - OMO
224-405-4079

             "Niall
             Litchfield"
             <niall.litchfield                                          To
             @gmail.com>               genegurevich_at_discover.com
                                                                        cc
             07/18/2007 05:40          oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                                       Re: tunning an index build

what happens if you try and do this without parallelisation - or with a lower degree?

On 7/18/07, genegurevich_at_discover.com <genegurevich_at_discover.com > wrote:   Hi all:

  I think I have posted on this issue before, but I can't find my old   Emails
  so - sorry for the repeated question.
  Here is the situation. I am running oracle 9208 and have a 40G table   with
  a lot of indices - mostly bitmap
  Their sizes are under 1G. These indices take about 20 to 30 minutes to   build. That seems to be too long.
  I have just waited for 24 minutes to build a 82M index. The index is   parallelized 4 way, the table is
  parallelized 6 ways. I have 2G sga and 1.5G pga. I do see a lot of IO   waits
  (via vmstat) and I have UNIX
  team looking into that. I think I have plenty of memory and the   parallelizm
  should be enough for a small index.

  Any thoughts on what else I should look at?

  thank you

  Gene Gurevich

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA