Re: rman catalog and current controlfile

From: goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:27:09 +0200

Hi Fuad,

the usage of catalog is fine as long as recovery catalog is 'there' and available. In case that catalog is complitly lost (can not be recovered) the current control file is missing information about backups. One option is to catalog backups in current CF, the second which I was thinking of to do (on regular basis) sync. of current CF from information found in rec. catalog.
The command RESYNC CONTROLFILE I forgot to mention in OP does not work :-) at least at 10.2.0.2
RMAN recognize only RESYNC CATALOG.

RMAN> resync controlfile from

RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands
RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "controlfile": expecting one of: "catalog" RMAN-01007: at line 1 column 8 file: standard input

Thanks.
Goran