Re: global sequence as unique identifier across multiple databases

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

Paula This has been asked before on this list Is it possible to share a database sequence between multiple databases?. Mark Powell suggested use of SYS_GUID as an alternative to sequence ranges, or intercalated sequences as just suggested by Glints. I blogged here http://preferisco.blogspot.com/2007/02/unique-ids-for-multi-master-replication.html that sadly SYS_GUID (in my test at least - OracleXE on a laptop, YMMV) is quite a bit slower than selecting from a sequence. Regards Nigel