Re: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

Check Metalink. You will find all sorts of docs on /3G   I am surprised to hear it didn't work on the test system.

  Watch out for hyperthreading on cpus. This affects alot of hidden parameters.   I had to take off the auto sga and decrease my sga target quite a bit.

  No not applicable on 64 bit Windows.

  I did have issues with /PAE switch and performance.

  I am working with Orakill now to kill session vs using alter session kill.   I found on windows killing sessions didn't always work and orakill does.   I will add my orakill info to my article next week hopefully.

  Kathy

Richard Saints <saints.richard_at_gmail.com> wrote:

  Hello to you all,
  I'm planning to activate the /3GB flag on a Windows server running Oracle Database, in order to extend the memory that can be used by Oracle.   The server has the following characteristics:   HP Proliant DL380
  2 x Pentium Xeon 3,2 GHz
  4 GB of RAM
  HP Smart Array SCSI controller
  2x36GB SCSI RAID 1 internal discs with 2 logical drives:   C drive for OS
  D drive for Logs
  4x146 GB SCSI RAID 5 internal discs with 1 logical drive:   F drive for data
  Paging size on C drive (2048-4096)
  SO: Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
  The Oracle SGA Target is 1336 MB

  I would like to know if there is any special care that I should take, before I activate this flag on boot.ini.   I read the Oracle Documentation, but I didn't found any particular aspect.

  I'm asking this because I had a bad experience with a test server where with the /3G flag was activated and the Oracle instance didn't startup. I still haven't figured out why.

  Thanks for all your attention.

  Best Regards,
  Ricardo.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!