Re: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

From: Yavor Ivanov <Yavor_Ivanov_at_stemo.bg>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:56:24 +0300

	The switch is no relevant to 64 bit platforms.
	On 32 bit platforms, any process can address 4 GB memory (this is 2^32 bytes), but has the right to use only the lower 2 GB (minus some kylobytes at the start and the end, for boundery checking). The upper 2 GB are reserved for the OS.
	The the /3GB switch changes this ratio to 3 GB user addressable space and 1 GB for the OS. This is address space per process, no actually consumed memory - even Notepad has the same address space, private for it's process.
	I have used this switch on many servers without any issue.
	On 64 bit platforms any process can address much more memory. So the switch does not work - it is not needed.

--
Regards,
Yavor Ivanov