Re: Hi,

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:03:45 -0700 (PDT)

The ODBC Generic Gateway is free with the database. The Transparent Gateway for SQL Server is an add on option to the database that you may or may not need, depending on whether you can benefit from the capabilities the transparent gateway for SQL server provides.

Dare I suggest middleware approaches to db-to-db integration on a dba mailing list?   With the development tools in the middleware space, I can do this integration quite quickly from SQL Server to Oracle without requiring any DBA intervention and without coding.

  For real-time integration, this may be the ideal approach, instead of coding/scheduling the insert...select * from table where timestamp > last_time_i_checked.

  For bulk transfer/ETL, it may not be, but for consistent incremental changes, it may be.

  Job

Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com> wrote:   Dennis,

take a look at heterogeneous connectivity. Particularly at transparent gateway for SQL Server:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/gateways.102/b14270/toc.htm

If there is no TG for your platform you can use generic connectivity or setup a separate listener on the supported platform.

I had used that in the past against Sybase DB (Oracle was on Linux x86-64, TG was on Windows, Sybase was on Linux). It worked reasonably well.

--
Alex Fatkulin,
The Pythian Group,

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.