Re: migration DB to new server on raw device

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:33:10 -0400

I won't provide all details as a lot depends on what you want and what's available. Ask specific questions if you want more details.

Are you going to use the same storage?
If so than you just need to stop your database on one node, move raw devices over to another node making sure they are mapped to the same locations so that you don't need to rename the files. If you are using links for raw devices - re-create them.
You will need to install appropriate oracle software and copy init.ora and password files if any. Network configuration (change as appropriate).

Now if you are moving to the new storage than it's more hassle. The first option to consider right away it to move to filesystem - managing 800 raw devices is damn time consuming. Someone might suggest ASM as well - it would also simplify storage management. If you are moving to raw devices or FS than you can use "dd" over the network (via remsh or ssh). You might need to skip the first block depending on your OS version.

If you are using ASM/raw devices/FS - you can copy datafiles as images while source database is mounted and copy controlfile. Note that you will need to see your new storage on your source machine for that time. Than you can move that new storage to the new box and start database from there. You might want to dd redo logs or open it resetlogs. You might actually even do image copy online with RMAN and then recover database on target host.

Another option would be to take backup (any method you prefer) to some shared storage and restore from there.

The last option leads us to the best choice ever -- use your regular backup (you do have one, don't you?). That will also help you to validate recoverability of your current backup.

HTH,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com