RE: Database Comparison.

From: Hallas, John (EXP N-ARM) <john.hallas_at_lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:05:49 +0100

TCO of ownership is not everything Willy, as I am sure you know already.

Isn't the key issue to determine which databases offer the functionality you require (both now and in the future) and then determine the best value.
The next step is to determine how scalable each database is and whether each can cope with your projected volumes of transactions.

If you have already done that exercise and all 3 databases you mention meet your requirements then my betting is that MySQL will work out cheapest.

John

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of willy schriemer Sent: 12 July 2007 09:28
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: Database Comparison.

Hi List,

The management asked me to write a paper with about the TCO of Oracle/MySql/SqlServer. They claim that MySql has the lowest footprint in costs and maintenance of the 3 database mentioned.

We don't have any MySql expierence or knowledge but only in managing about 70 Oracle db's in 7x24 environment and some SqlServer db's.

Does any know of a report on the web about this subject ?

TIA,   Willy.