Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: VB Access to Oracle Database

RE: VB Access to Oracle Database

From: Rich Jesse <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:21:01 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID: <21190.>

Hey Sanjay,

Two things:

First, run a spyware checker on the problem PC. I've seen spyware that somehow affected Oracle client connections. To be fair, SQL*Plus was also affected on that machine, but it's a place to start and spyware is rarely a good thing to have on a PC.

Second, grab a copy of the excellent Filemon utility from (now redirected to and owned by MS). It's under the "Process Utilities" link. Run this on the problem client before you start the problematic app. Filter out all of the background stuff like explorer.exe, system processes, and virus scanners so that there's little or no output being displayed. Then fire up the app and watch the Filemon output.

It may take several iterations of this to get the filter setup correctly, but once you do, you should have thousands of lines of output to sift through. Look for all files in the Oracle client that are being accessed. This can be overwhelming and somewhat confusing at first, but you may just find your answer. I found it helpful to compare the output to one taken from a successful Oracle access on another PC.

For the problem I had, Filemon saw that there was a rogue v8.0.5 oci.dll in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (should have been in the ORACLE_HOME tree, so it didn't get removed prior to 10g client install) that was causing this 10g client to fail. If I remember correctly (don't quote me on this), SQL*Plus or at least TNSPING worked correctly, but the VB programs did not.

HTH! GL! Let us know what you find!


On 07/10/2007, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I had a weird situation where I had 3 PC and Oracle 10g Client is     installed on them. I had installed one of the VB application on all three     connecting to Oracle 10g DB.

    One PC is able to read the Service correctly and connect to the database     while others are not

    THere is only One Oracle Home on them

    Sqlplus work fine in connecting to the Database and So TNS Service or     alias are correct

    I tried to trace parameter in sqlnet.ora but found that only Sqlplus     connection is only creating Trace file while there is no trace file created     with VB Access which look like that it is not reading the Tnsnames.

    No Oracle errors except database does not exist

    I had also added TNS_ADMIN in environment pointing to OH/network/admin

    Any other suggestion


Received on Wed Jul 11 2007 - 10:21:01 CDT

Original text of this message