Re: VB Access to Oracle Database

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:47:31 -0700 (PDT)

Bill

  I will also look into this permission issue with tech support so as to make sure that user will have same permission on all of the PC.

  Thanks
  Sanjay

Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    I'm having problems of a similar nature in my organization, due primarily to us migrating to Active Directory and all of the ensuing permission problems. They're insisting now that all of the users have to be in the "Users" group (which has very little permissions), and all of the add-on software they installed over the years quit running since they were all installed with their old ID which had Admin permissions. It's a big headache trying to track down which programs, or parts of programs, need which permissions or other security modifications in order for the users to be able to run their programs again. I generally just "cheat" and start off by giving the user "Modify" rights to the entire hard drive, and then change the Windows directoty to just "Read and Execute", and then try to spend a little time tracking down the remaining problems. I just don't have the time to try and track down every single "quirk" on each machine and stiil have time to do my database work.

  Bill Ferguson

  On 7/10/07, Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com> wrote: Sanjay,

  I'm no VB expert, just a DBA that has had to deal with VB developers. Usually, I say that if SQL*Plus works correctly, then SQL*Net is correctly configured so the problem must be in VB or the Microsoft configuration.

      All the things you mention that you tried simply confirm that SQL*Net is correctly configured.     You say that one of the PC's works correctly. I would try to find out what is different about the VB configuration on that PC vs. the other two. I think that will likely correct the problem. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what to check on the Microsoft side. Are you using ODBC?

  Dennis Williams

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Jul 11 2007 - 09:47:31 CDT