Re: add node , oracle software a bit error

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

In the scenarios involving larger numbers of nodes, I would advocate *some* sharing of OHs, but never a single OH for the whole cluster. In discussions with some of the engineers at Oracle, there was talk of a whitepaper to describe the optimal or best practice in the area of shared OHs, but I don't think it ever got published.

I agree with your first point for shared homes--you do guarantee that the same patches are used by all nodes sharing that OH. However, I submit that I could guarantee the same with careful administration practices and still benefit from all the non-shared OH points you made (which are all good ones). I'd offer a clarification on the last point about rolling patches. You said that it is easier to apply rolling patches--I think you mean to say that it is *possible* to apply rolling patches with non-shared OHs. I suppose that you could apply rolling patches with a shared home, but, at least for part of the process, you don't have a shared OH.

So, I still haven't found a compelling reason to use shared OHs. I'm all eyes for anyone that can make the good case for it.

Dan

I will list some pros and cons - if anyone feels like adding some more - by all means, please do.

With shared Oracle home
- You are guaranteed to have the same patches on both nodes and use actually the same binaries.
- It's supposedly easier to manage (was a disaster in 9i though) especially on large RAC installations (by number of nodes).

I'm a bit skeptical as it requires some CFS or NFS to manage and it's yet another software stack if you are not using it as your primary database storage as well.

My arguments for non-shared homes:
- local filesystem is way simpler and rock solid. - if you screwed up something on one node - it is not propagated on another node (have you had someone wiping out the oracle homes completely? One SA sis that clean up for me once). - it's easier to apply rolling patches. Otherwise, for shared home it would require new home installation and re-register databases and instances. In the end, I'm actually not sure if that will be "online" in the end.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com