RE: data type conversion in 10g

From: Nahata, Naveen <Naveen.Nahata_at_UHhospitals.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:00:28 -0400

The clue should be in the execution plan.

I'm sure 9i is using an Index on test1, where as the 10g is doing a full table scan.

Naveen

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of David Boyd Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:25 PM
To: Elliott, Patrick; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: data type conversion in 10g

We have mix of number values and char values in the column. Once I delete all char values in the column, 'where test1<88' works in 10g, too.
David

Subject: RE: data type conversion in 10g Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:49:08 -0500
From: patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com
To: davidb158_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

        I am extremely curious. What is the data that is causing this?

        Pat

	Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:24:58 -0500
	From: patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com
	To: davidb158_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

		The problem isn't with 10g, it is with your NLS
parameters and/or the data. The error comes from the values in the column not from your 88. The 88 converts fine to a number, but the values in your column do not. Any non-numeric values in the column will cause this.

See what you're getting into...before you go there. Check it out! <http://newlivehotmail.com>

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.<BR><BR>Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.