RE: os cache vs. db cache

From: Milen Kulev <makulev_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:31:57 +0200

Hi Robin,
I have got positive experience using os cache when running OLTP (not DWH!) databases. I believe it was a "special" case -> many concurrent sessions were accessing the same index (hot) blocks. We have got many "cache buffer chains" latches, and they constituted ~ 20-25% of database resource usage (top5 wait events as of STATSPACK reports). After swithing on the os cache (HPUX 11.11, 16 CPUs, Veritas Filesystem ), the "cache buffer chains" issues vanisched.
So the overhead of double buffering was in this case offset by elimination of latch contention. Response time for all the critical queries halved. HTH. Milen

P.S. It was third party application, where creating storedoutlines after each application release was not fun at all ;(