Re: PGA usage

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:33:28 +0300

*Memory usage in a 32bit Windows environment* * (how to avoid ORA-4030 /ORA-12500s) Note : Note:373602.1*

Look at the Jonathan's note, he mentioned that '

*_pga_max_size – this hidden parameter defaults to 200 megabytes, regardless of the setting for pga_aggregate_target.'*

**

*http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/untested.html*

On 7/10/07, Yavor Ivanov <Yavor_Ivanov_at_stemo.bg> wrote:

> Hello, gurus
>
> I have some problems with Oracle 10.2.0.3 on Windows 2003 32-bit.
> We have PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET set to 350 MB and a SGA of 2200 MB. Some of the
> sessions are shared server ones (which take memory from the large pool), and
> others are dedicated. Sometimes, when some big-fat report is running, the
> actual PGA allocated grows up to 550 MB and more. Then we are getting
> ora-4030, because we hit the 3 GB limit of 32 bit windows.
> In this cases I can see that one dedicated connection (the one
> running the big report) has allocated up to 280 MB PGA (this is, one
> session!). We are not using parallel things, if it matters at all.
> I know PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is just a target, not a limit. But I
> wonder is there any way to limit how much PGA can a single session consume.
> I thought there is a rule stating no session can eat more than 10% than the
> total target, but this proved to be wrong.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yavor Ivanov
> Senior Database Expert
> Stemo Ltd

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."