Re: OEM or lots of code?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:08:08 -0700

Robert,

> I'm wondering if anyone who has used these features or suspect they will use
> them in the future has a preference. In some cases, if page count allows,
> I'll do both. In some cases I need to select either/or due to page count
> considerations. In the past, I've been very heavily code oriented and really
> relegated OEM to the background, but now I'm thinking of moving in the other
> direction.

I had the same question when I wrote my chapters, and ended up showing both. Reviews showed that the readers like this approach. I followed up the book with a COLLAB paper that went under the hood so I can show more in-depth stuff. On a practical side, as a working DBA that needs to manage scores of databases, I *cannot* afford to login to multiple DB Control (or multiple links from Grid Control) instances to check. To enable alerts, one needs descriptions/pointers to the right set of WR views/tables and SQL that can extract this information and massage/summarize it for you... And I believe that providing this part via a book is the author's responsibility.... In other words, you need to cover what Oracle's marketing material and WPs cannot do in their glossies, and show some of the down-and-dirty that Oracle will NOT show you via the documentation....

Regards,

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
http://jkanagaraj.wordpress.com