Re: file size for a large database

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:53:58 -0700

On 7/6/07, genegurevich_at_discover.com <genegurevich_at_discover.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I am building a database which will grow to 2.5 or 3 Tb. I am wondering
> what is a realistic file size I should be using.
> One of my tablespaces will be about 1.5Tb. I don't want to have too many
> files, but I don't want to have the datafiles
> that are too big. I don't know however how big is too big. Does anyone
> have
> any guidelines or documents for that?
> Any experience with this? My filesystems are 130G so I can create fairly
> large files.

You have to ask yourself, what is wrong with having a large datafile?

Consider that you are going to have a 3Tb database.

Q: If you limit your datafiles to 2Gb each, how many files is that? A: 1500

Do you really want 1500 datafiles if you can avoid it? Think of the checkpoints.

Q: How many datafiles required if using a 32Gb file size? A: 96

There may be some other distinct advantages to a large file size as well.

If backups are made with RMAN, you can set the set size such that only one file is in each backup piece. This can avoid reading backup pieces that are unnecessary for a partial recovery.

--
Jared Still