RE: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:17:08 -0700

I can't emphasize this one enough - it is a huge mistake to rely on your tape/media/netbackup admins to set your tape backup retention correctly.

I've been told too many times to count that "Yes, the Yearly backup with 7-yr retention was completed successfully" only to check myself (with the bpclimagelist command for Netbackup) and find that the backup was really saved with the regular 35-day retention! The problem is that if you don't double check this and it's wrong - you'll never know until you get audited or for whatever reason need that backup years down the road and you find that it has mysteriously disappeared. So, I make it a point to personally verify every single backup that I need saved with a non-default retention time.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Syed Jaffar Hussain

I would like hear from you about the common mistakes by most of the DBAs do regarding the backup and recovery