RE: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:48:38 -0400

I had a firm hire a DBA for almost twice what I was getting that insisted you could apply archives to an export/import.

And can you believe how hard it was to convince people that what they want is not necessarily what they are going to get? Especially, if he is hotter than a desert day.

Jump ahead to after I began at my new job, I was called by the company, (I never lost a transaction), and eventually realized that he had finally broke the bank with these guys -- when he did not receive success/failure emails for over two weeks for backups.... One of the reasons was because something had stopped them from running... and so no mail was being sent. The company didn't have more than two weeks worth offsite for that particular database.

Oh my. Gee.

I felt like Rodney Dangerfield then -- no respect. I don't now, and now I make almost double -- and work 1/2 as hard. Funny how things can work out for the good at least once in a while.

Duh,

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com