Re: raw device

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 06:36:30 -0700 (PDT)

I have yet to find a situation where RAW was that compelling that I'd use it instead of a cooked filesystem. I think that part of the reason you don't find a lot of documentation about it is because not that much exists. IMHO, that's because of supply and demand--that is, there's little demand for such a thing because there isn't much use of RAW devices these days, at least in Oracle environments. RAW devices are more common in Sybase environments from what I've seen.

In short, my advice for managing RAW devices is to use them to create a filesystem on and then mount that :).

Just for curiousity, I searched ML for "raw devices performance" and found some interesting items: 29676.1: Making the decision to use raw devices (an article by Cary Millsap from 1992) 236679.1: Comparing performance between RAW IO vs OCFS vs ext2/3

These are both a little dated, but interesting anyway.

Dan

<!--
 _filtered {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */

        {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink

        {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed

        {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17

        {font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
 _filtered {margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1

        {}
-->

I am also looking for some good device on raw device administration, both in Oracle and and outside of Oracle.

Having come up on the Oracle developer
side of the DBA business, I have been looking for some good documentation on Raw device administration in general. I have used raw devices in the past, but I have always just let the Unix admin hand us the slices, and we set up softlinks to them as we need. I think its time I learned a little more about how to set them up.