Re: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

From: Kurt Van Meerbeeck <kurtvm_at_pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:11:22 +0000

Tape handling and tape rotation are also very important and I quite often see problems in that area. If tape handling is done by unmotivated people and they start cutting corners, you'll see that allthough backup procedures were good and recovery was tested, things can still go seriously wrong when the guy changing the tapes was slacking.
Seen it happen multiple times ...

cheers,
Kurt

How about running an Rman backup to tape, Rman says it worked fine, and not attempting a restore. I?ve seen these fail because of MM problems. My running joke is that I can back anything up to tape via Rman. Proving I can restore it is what I really get paid for.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Syed Jaffar Hussain Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:23 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

Hello List,

I would like hear from you about the common mistakes by most of the DBAs do regarding the backup and recovery. I would think of the following:

  1. Never testing their backups.
  2. No good backup and recovery policies.
  3. Afraid of using RMAN or Making benefits of RMAN

I would really like to know if there are any other points than what I specified above.

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."