Re: unique constraint violation on 8i import but not on 9i

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:59:54 -0400

On 7/4/07, Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Get off your high horse.

2 Mike:
LOL. Not that I unexpected that answer but it's better to be the knight on the high horse than be under that horse. ;) But I digress.

If you import large number of rows into the table - you wouldn't want that table pre-created with indexes if you want to do the import fast so I can assume for 750GB database you would create indexes after the data is imported. Actually, import does it this way by default - first insert and then build indexes. Since you mentioned unique key violation - the unique key was already created before importing the rows.

So providing more context and information, as you did in the follow up, helps much more.
Btw, what wound me up is the following:
> I don't have time
> to investigate this right now, just looking for a quick hit from the list.
I couldn't resist starting the rant again. :)

> (ALEX : No guessing done here - past experience!)
> My guess is that we differ a wee bit about what each of us thinks is a
> guess, but that we both endorse applying logic and science to
> troubleshooting.

2 Mark & Norman,
Well, it's difficult to draw the distinct line between a wild guess and a hint that leads the investigation process. I wish I knew that distinction.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://blog.oracloid.com